Wednesday, April 21, 2010

An Almanac For Moderns: The First Swallow














April Twentieth

Some one is forever telling us that one swallow does not make a summer. But what good is the first swallow, skimming on his side through the April afternoon, if it cannot raise a vaunted hope or encourage us to defy the gloomy and the unco circumspect! If they are right, those folk who are forever deriding the first man to try a thing, forever predicting disaster and living cautiously for a perfectly hypothetical old age, then let me, pray, be wrong. May I still, when I can count my hairs, be given grace and fortitude in the chill spring weather to say when first I see the wild spiral of the swallow that winter is over and done.


More information on our Almanac For Moderns project and the work of Donald Culross Peattie can be found here.